Somehow I’ve managed to be out of the house for most, if not all, of the first two debates this month thanks to one kid-related endeavor or another. Late each night afterward or early the next morning, I’d find myself boning up on the high (or low) points via various news accounts on TV or online, or later in the paper. And more and more often I’d find my 14-year-old and 11-year-old actively watching the coverage and engaging me in conversation about the soundbites, the rhetoric, actual points of policy, and the media spins. (I’ve gotta say that that kind of insight really makes me happy. I often think part of my job as a parent is to make them savvy about how things in the media are being fed to them, from simple commercials to political spins.)
Tag: Election 2012 (1-2 of 2)
Nick News is helping pick the President… but this time, it’s without Mitt Romney’s help.
Nickelodeon announced that it will once again air a Nick News with Linda Ellerbee special, “Kids Pick the President: The Candidates,” that will premiere Monday, Oct. 15. Following the special, kids can vote online on who they think should be the next president. And CNN better listen in: Kids have correctly predicted the eventual winner five of the last six elections (in 2000, kids picked Al Gore).
Unfortunately, only President Obama will be answering questions this time around. In a press release, the show stated, “After numerous attempts by Nick News to get former Governor Mitt Romney to participate in the special, his camp declined saying he was unable to fit it into his schedule.” READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Family
- Winners and losers of Summer 2014
- 'Frozen Fever' animated short an encore for Elsa and Anna in spring 2015
- 30 Days of Binge: Take our tips to dive into 'Lost'; a 2014 hit you missed; or a TV classic that passed you by
- EW's 2014 Summer Movie Awards
- Angelina Jolie-Brad Pitt wedding photos debut in People
- Jennifer Lawrence nude pics: FBI issues statement
- 'Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story': 100 things that happened (maybe?)
- 'Agents of SHIELD': First 30-second glimpse of season 2