When news of Bonnie Franklin’s death hit on Friday, I had the sad gut reaction that’s become all too familiar as stars of my childhood continue to pass away. I dashed off a quick (and stunningly un-profound) tweet and went on about my day. But I’ve been thinking about her, or more accurately, her One Day at a Time character Ann Romano, ever since. And I’ve realized that the show left a mark on me far beyond my occasional references to Schneider when I pull out my giant mess of keys. (A reference none of the kids I work with seem to get, by the way.) Little did she or I know it, but Ann Romano was sketching a blueprint for me for my eventual life as a single mom.
EW's Special Coverage
Tag: Mom Lessons (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Family
- 'Sons of Anarchy' takes its final ride: See new EW cover
- 'Sons of Anarchy'; 'Agents of SHIELD'; 'The Voice'; 'Mindy Project'; 'New Girl'; 'Utopia': Tuesday TV recaps
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Walton Goggins on that Venus-Tig moment
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Kurt Sutter, cast go inside 'Poor Little Lambs' ending
- 'Bones' sneak peek: The team vows to avenge Sweets
- Ben Affleck teases Jon Stewart: 'Rosewater' or 'Argo Jr.'?
- Tricia Helfer in Syfy's space thriller 'Ascension': First trailer
- 'Person of Interest' shows off the new secret HQ: Take the tour
Top 5 Most Read
- On the Books: Harry Potter collector sets Guinness World Record
- 'Twilight Saga' returning with five short films on Facebook
- 'Sons of Anarchy' guest star Walton Goggins on that Venus-Tig moment
- First trailer for Syfy's space thriller 'Ascension' starring Tricia Helfer
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Poor Little Lambs'