When news of Bonnie Franklin’s death hit on Friday, I had the sad gut reaction that’s become all too familiar as stars of my childhood continue to pass away. I dashed off a quick (and stunningly un-profound) tweet and went on about my day. But I’ve been thinking about her, or more accurately, her One Day at a Time character Ann Romano, ever since. And I’ve realized that the show left a mark on me far beyond my occasional references to Schneider when I pull out my giant mess of keys. (A reference none of the kids I work with seem to get, by the way.) Little did she or I know it, but Ann Romano was sketching a blueprint for me for my eventual life as a single mom.
EW's Special Coverage
Tag: Mom Lessons (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Family
- American Music Awards 2014: Your take on Taylor Swift, J.Lo, more highs/lows?
- American Music Awards '14: We grade the performances
- American Music Awards 2014 style: What the stars wore
- 'Walking Dead' recap: 'Crossed'
- 'Jurassic World' teases Thanksgiving trailer: 3 nods to 'Jurassic Park'
- 'Good Wife'; Atlanta 'Housewives'; 'The Newsroom'; 'The Comeback' recaps
- 'Homeland'; 'SNL'; 'The Affair'; 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'; 'Bob's Burgers'; more TV recaps
- 'Walking Dead': Seth Gilliam on where Father Gabriel is going