When news of Bonnie Franklin’s death hit on Friday, I had the sad gut reaction that’s become all too familiar as stars of my childhood continue to pass away. I dashed off a quick (and stunningly un-profound) tweet and went on about my day. But I’ve been thinking about her, or more accurately, her One Day at a Time character Ann Romano, ever since. And I’ve realized that the show left a mark on me far beyond my occasional references to Schneider when I pull out my giant mess of keys. (A reference none of the kids I work with seem to get, by the way.) Little did she or I know it, but Ann Romano was sketching a blueprint for me for my eventual life as a single mom.
EW's Special Coverage
Tag: One Day at a Time (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Family
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: And our first night scores are...
- 13 reality TV hits: Best season was...
- 'Big Bang Theory' cast featurette: Kaley Cuoco's re-'do and other hair-raising tales
- 'Breaking Bad': 'Ozymandias' writer and director look back at milestone episode
- Crime does pay: 20 movie/TV outlaws who cashed in
- Ryan Murphy shares 'AHS: Freak Show' details: 'This season, once you die, you're dead'
- 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' tapestry revealed
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt in 'By the Sea': 3 First Look photos
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- Ryan Murphy on 'AHS: Freak Show': 'This season, once you die, you're dead'
- 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' Tapestry Revealed
- Pop Culture Pet Peeve: Have sex already!