When news of Bonnie Franklin’s death hit on Friday, I had the sad gut reaction that’s become all too familiar as stars of my childhood continue to pass away. I dashed off a quick (and stunningly un-profound) tweet and went on about my day. But I’ve been thinking about her, or more accurately, her One Day at a Time character Ann Romano, ever since. And I’ve realized that the show left a mark on me far beyond my occasional references to Schneider when I pull out my giant mess of keys. (A reference none of the kids I work with seem to get, by the way.) Little did she or I know it, but Ann Romano was sketching a blueprint for me for my eventual life as a single mom.
EW's Special Coverage
Tag: One Day at a Time (1-1 of 1)
- Beyonce surprise: 'Visual Album' now on iTunes
- 'Grey's Anatomy' recap: 'Get Up, Stand Up'
- 'Scandal' recap: 'A Door Marked Exit'
- Tina + Amy: Darth Vader has two mommies?
- 'Vampire Diaries' recap: 'Fifty Shades of Grayson'
- Golden Globes: 16 snubs that bugged YOU
- Golden Globes TV noms: Nice surprises, nasty snubs
- 'Descendants': Disney villains as parents of teens?
Top 5 Most Read
- Disney Channel plans original movie 'Descendants,' featuring teenage kids of classic villains
- 'Grey's Anatomy' recap: Stand Up and Take It
- 'Scandal' recap: 'The Devil Came In'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' season finale post-mortem: Burning questions answered
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler reveal 'Star Wars VII' roles; J.J. Abrams responds