When news of Bonnie Franklin’s death hit on Friday, I had the sad gut reaction that’s become all too familiar as stars of my childhood continue to pass away. I dashed off a quick (and stunningly un-profound) tweet and went on about my day. But I’ve been thinking about her, or more accurately, her One Day at a Time character Ann Romano, ever since. And I’ve realized that the show left a mark on me far beyond my occasional references to Schneider when I pull out my giant mess of keys. (A reference none of the kids I work with seem to get, by the way.) Little did she or I know it, but Ann Romano was sketching a blueprint for me for my eventual life as a single mom.
EW's Special Coverage
Tag: One Day at a Time (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Family
- 'Empire Strikes Back' live-read photos, including Mark Hamill as the Emperor
- Madonna releases six tracks from 2015 'Rebel Heart' album
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes
- 'Hannibal': Michael Pitt out, Joe Anderson in
- 'Amazing Race' season finale recap: And the winners are...
- Hallmark's holiday TV movies: Inside the concepts, casting, and scheduling
- Kevin Hart as Will Ferrell's prison-life coach in 'Get Hard' trailer
- Jeff Probst on the secret 'Survivor' ending you didn't see
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes -- exclusive
- Michael Pitt exits 'Hannibal,' Joe Anderson to replace him
- Mark Hamill as The Emperor! Rainn Wilson is Chewbacca! Photos from the Live-Read of 'The Empire Strikes Back'
- Kevin Hart teaches Will Ferrell to survive prison in 'Get Hard' trailer
- Jeff Probst reveals the secret 'Survivor' ending you didn't see...and it's the best thing ever