When news of Bonnie Franklin’s death hit on Friday, I had the sad gut reaction that’s become all too familiar as stars of my childhood continue to pass away. I dashed off a quick (and stunningly un-profound) tweet and went on about my day. But I’ve been thinking about her, or more accurately, her One Day at a Time character Ann Romano, ever since. And I’ve realized that the show left a mark on me far beyond my occasional references to Schneider when I pull out my giant mess of keys. (A reference none of the kids I work with seem to get, by the way.) Little did she or I know it, but Ann Romano was sketching a blueprint for me for my eventual life as a single mom.
EW's Special Coverage
Tag: One Day at a Time (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Family
- Ryan Murphy reveals an 'American Horror Story' secret: Seasons 'are all connected'
- 'Bad Judge,' 'A to Z' to be canceled by NBC
- Billy Bob Thornton's 'Big Bang Theory' cameo: How it happened
- 'Once Upon a Time' bosses answer Yes/No/Can't Say (or more) to your Twitter Q's
- 'SNL' lights up Sia's 'Chandelier,' more of the week's best music on TV
- 'Amazing Race' recap: 'I Feel Like I Just Kissed a Goat'
- 'Showrunners' documentary: Insights from Kurt Sutter, Hart Hanson, Mike Kelley
- 'Interstellar' review: Awe-fully sappy
Top 5 Most Read
- NBC to cancel 'Bad Judge,' 'A to Z' with zombie twist
- Ryan Murphy on the different seasons of 'American Horror Story': 'They're all connected'
- The Hot Seat: 'Once Upon a Time' bosses answer burning questions
- How 'The Big Bang Theory' scored Billy Bob Thornton for a surprise guest spot
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Scandal,' 'Walking Dead, 'Blacklist' and more