When news of Bonnie Franklin’s death hit on Friday, I had the sad gut reaction that’s become all too familiar as stars of my childhood continue to pass away. I dashed off a quick (and stunningly un-profound) tweet and went on about my day. But I’ve been thinking about her, or more accurately, her One Day at a Time character Ann Romano, ever since. And I’ve realized that the show left a mark on me far beyond my occasional references to Schneider when I pull out my giant mess of keys. (A reference none of the kids I work with seem to get, by the way.) Little did she or I know it, but Ann Romano was sketching a blueprint for me for my eventual life as a single mom.
EW's Special Coverage
Tag: One Day at a Time (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Family
- 'Arrow' boss talks 'Seeing Red' shocker
- 'Survivor' recap: The Spy Who Shacked Me
- 'American Idol' recap: Release the rockers
- 'Survivor': 4 Q's for Jeff Probst
- 'Arrow' react: 'Seeing Red'
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- Meg Ryan joins 'How I Met Your Dad' as narrator
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 657
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 508
- Slaves to Love 466
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
- Kenya Get Your Scepter 479
Top 5 Most Read
- 'How I Met Your Mother' spin-off casts Meg Ryan
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE
- A serious attempt to explain Avril Lavigne's 'Hello Kitty' music video
- 'Arrow' post mortem: Boss opens up about the shocking [spoiler]!
- 'Friends' creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane look back at the finale -- and why they won't do a reunion show