When news of Bonnie Franklin’s death hit on Friday, I had the sad gut reaction that’s become all too familiar as stars of my childhood continue to pass away. I dashed off a quick (and stunningly un-profound) tweet and went on about my day. But I’ve been thinking about her, or more accurately, her One Day at a Time character Ann Romano, ever since. And I’ve realized that the show left a mark on me far beyond my occasional references to Schneider when I pull out my giant mess of keys. (A reference none of the kids I work with seem to get, by the way.) Little did she or I know it, but Ann Romano was sketching a blueprint for me for my eventual life as a single mom.
EW's Special Coverage
Tag: One Day at a Time (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Family
- 'Ghostbusters' director shows us who he's gonna call
- GoDaddy pulls Super Bowl ad animal rights activists called 'cruel and irresponsible'
- 'Arrow' costar Katie Cassidy on suiting up as Black Canary: 'lucky, excited, grateful, thrilled'
- 'The Flash' boss answers burning Q's: 'We think it makes sense, hopefully you all will too'
- Tom Delonge posts letter to fans on Blink-182 rift
- Shonda Rhimes talks 'Grey's Anatomy': 'we need an infusion of men'
- 'Fantastic Four' teaser: Freezing frames and looking for clues
- TV pilots now in the works for fall 2015--do you spot any winners?